View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 06:53 AM

Default Re: AL Cy Young Winner

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, I know. I'm a high school coach, an ex-college pitcher who has a shoulder surgery on his resume, and I've studied a lot about biomechanics of pitching and hitting (admittedly more about hitting as of late, mostly Dr. Yeager's work). Sabathia's mechanics don't break down during a game; he's not usually in there pitching tired. Recent studies show that the real damage (beyond poor mechanics) come from pitching when tired in a game, not necessarily because you are throwing a lot of innings per year. His innings count has been steadily ramped up year after year; the Indians medical staff is one of the best in baseball.

I believe he will be a workhorse for years to come with few injury problems. He certainly has the mental and psychological makeup for it, which accounts for a lot more than most people give credit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the further personal info as it makes discussion much easier.

Groan………..Sorry to hear about the shoulder. I have similar tale of woe regarding son #3 who was a real 5 tool prospect. Those who have not been through it really have no way of knowing what it’s like to have it snatched away from you.

In any case, as an Indians fan, you probably are much more familiar with Sabathia than I, so I will defer to your analysis, but, to what do you describe his breakdown vs. the Sox in the ALCS? Was it purely a brain fart, or a combo of that plus (IIRC) he broke down mechanically and started rushing his pitches?

The “pitching when tired” syndrome is right on the button. Are you familiar with the Dick Mills and Figelman/Young studies from the early 90’s? To agree with you (and expand just a bit)……

….arm/shoulder fatigue is the biggest cause of injury to pitchers as once the arm/shoulder of an otherwise healthy pitcher becomes fatigued, it is much more susceptible to injuries.

When one thinks about it, it makes perfect sense.

However, it is not the only culprit/cause of pitching injuries. Overuse (read: not enough recovery time between outings) is also a major problem, especially among amateur pitchers where neither they, nor their coaches know any better.

It’s really a damned shame, as lots of great arms are ruined before they ever get a chance to reach their potential because of ignorance.