Thread: Standard?
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Standard?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"The turn I just call down. You will get 2BB everytime, regardless of what he has."

100% not true

[/ QUOTE ]

so you say a guy that takes this line is going to donk the flop, call a raise, donk the turn, and check fold the river?

I have a billion hands agasint these guys at 5-10, they aren't betting the turn, getting called, and check folding the river with a pair.

They aren't betting the flop, get raised, donking the turn, and then c/f the river with a draw.

It's all about momentum. If they have a missed draw, and think you have AQ, they are going to bet the river.

If you disagree, then just raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

One general criticism I have is that people seem to always assume a passive line will get you paid off that people will 3-barrel you almost 100% of the time.

1st off this is bad news for when you don't have KK. A big advantage of being aggro and showing down super light is that people will try and quit bluffing you. What is the a-typical response to the monthly "how do i beat this 50/40?" - it's tighten up. And you know what? That's wrong. But who cares about that point, the point is that people will tighten up more. They will check/call their draws here more so when i have AJ i'm getting a cheap showdown and winning UI. Because "this idiot (us) isn't folding."

But then when it comes to this passive approach people assume that with no read someone is firing 3-barrels into us?

"so you say a guy that takes this line is going to donk the flop, call a raise, donk the turn, and check fold the river?"

Well I think he can check/call the river, no? All depends on how many times OP has raised this flop with AK.

"I have a billion hands agasint these guys at 5-10, they aren't betting the turn, getting called, and check folding the river with a pair."

They can check/call right? And they can check/raise? They can donk again too.

"They aren't betting the flop, get raised, donking the turn, and then c/f the river with a draw."

Now this i think is very possible.

What this all boils down to is how you've played every other hand in this spot and what you do with your whole range here. I for one am very against just calling down with strong hands against irrational action (bet/call bet/3bet is a pretty crazy line and one i think only someone who is a good thinking player would take vs. me with a hand like 89 here). I think it makes every other hand I play much more difficult. You have no idea how easy of a raise KK is for me in this spot after I've shown down 78 here the last 4 times.