View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Re: it\'s all about fishin\' man

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the OP might be in Oceanside, where, yeah, the NL games are evil tough compared to anywhere else. But I play everywhere in SoCal and Vegas, and it's only O'11 that's like that.

As to the comments about limit vs NL, I don't think they apply to the pseudo-NL games that LA spreads, the 5-10 $500 max buy-ins, which are kind of a nice compromise between NL and limit.

And as to the net kids being tough, I think it's a myth. A million billion hands of online poker still provides 0 hands of real poker experience. I play 5/5, 5/10, 10/10 and 10/20 NL all around, and there are very few good young players in these games, and the handful that are good ARE good because they're smart and have good instincts, which they'd have without ever playing online. People either approach the game as something to be studied, or as gambling fun. A thousand hands live, well-thought out (which you have time to do, live), is better experience that a gazillion hands of 10-table click-click-clicking where you don't get to see you opps and learn.

What online does do is create legions of deluded young boys who think they're good at basketball because they win at tennis.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree more. Live pro's usually suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Live pro's usually suck online and online players at least start out bad live. Different skills are often stressed. It's a completely different game.

I can't even post my most interesting live hands here because the reads simply don't translate well into these forums and standard strategy simply doesn't apply.

Reads such as, I knew she was an experienced player because she came to our soft table after requesting a table change and the floor person treated her like a long time regular. With 2 seats available she quickly eyeballed the stacks and players and chose the seat left of the aggressive big stack. Even though she was only 5 hands in I strongly felt that the check raise on the turn with that draw heavy board had to be the As5s for a monster draw with 6 extra outs she picked up. I called with only 2nd pair.

People just laugh at this kind of stuff on these posts.