View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Assani vs the StatHeads: Evaluating NFL QBs

I think most people knew Tom Brady was great before this season because he has consistently put up great numbers with mediocre surrounding talent. As far as better than Manning, I personally find the argument stupid. Both are incredibly good and the difference between first and second is negligible.

I disagree with your opinion of Vince Young. I do think you're rather off because you seem to believe that his presence is the sole or most prominent reason they are winning. It's not. He is a below average passer even when you consider that he doesn't have much receiving talent. His running sort of makes up for it but overall I believe he is at best an average QB. In addition a big part of their running game is due to their O-line. It has improved quite a lot over the last few years.

The reason they are winning because they have a top three defense this year. Finnegan was a rookie last year and has turned into a very good corner. Haynesworth and Vanden Bosch are excellent pass rushers and their LB corps is very good. Overall their defense is loaded.

In short, Defense > Oline > V.Young > Everyone else in terms of relevance to their recent winnings, in my opinion. Just because QB is the most high leverage position, doesn't mean it is more important than 5-10 other positions combined (if that makes sense.)