View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Science: What does poker do to your brain? (x post from psychology)

[ QUOTE ]
It's my impression that online players suffer more from tilt than live ones. It may be a faulty impression or it may have something to do with the environment in which the person is playing in. I hardly ever hear live players mention tilt while online players seem really preoccupied with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

More likely it has to do with the fact online players see many more hands per hour, especially multitablers, so getting your money in good and having negative results happen multiple times hourly, where a live player might only see that once in a live session.

Although there may be long-term enviromental effects, especially if the player doesn't focus on things other than poker.

[ QUOTE ]
What effect does poker have on your brain?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a mixed effect. You learn to analyze situations on the fly until they become second nature, etc. at a rather fast pace.

Burn-out and emotional effects are certainly part of the package for an online player. I had a month where I played nearly 115k hands and the effects of that were less than desirable. I'm playing far less hands now as a result of that.