View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 08:50 AM

Default Re: An Unprecedented Time: Teenagers and Poker

[ QUOTE ]
My uncle made it rich trading commodities back in the momentum days, he was 19 when he made his first $100 000.

Athletes in sport also do pretty well.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

In my opinion, trading is almost exactly like poker, whereas the others suggested (athletes, dotcom) have some major differences. I can see how at first glance trading might not seem like it's the same thing as online poker, but as someone in the industry, trust me, it is:

1. Requires no degrees or any formal education - just your own smarts and figuring stuff out.

2. Very, very much a "start with $50, and if you're good/lucky enough, you can be worth 5m+ in 3 years"

3. Just as accessible as online poker, if not more so. If anything, you could say it is more accessible, b/c there is (like a million times) more money flowing around in the trading world.

4. You can go to work on any given day and lose a bunch of money (unlike pro athletes); also, the market/game could change at any given time such that what you're doing now is no longer profitable (but if you're a good trader/poker player, you'll be able to adapt)

That's all I can think of offhand. Oh and just to attach an amusing example to these points: one of the most successful traders at my firm was a high school dropout who started trading when he was like 18, made a boatload of money (well into 8 figures) in a couple years, and then quit. I have no idea what he's up to now. Talk about teenagers and money!

-bigbootch