View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Razz - Thin value bets on 6th and 7th

I'm convinced that "calling third instead of raising so that people can make a mistake and call fourth with a brick" is the most misunderstood concept in razz at this point.

Here's some really basic math: In this particular hand, there are 2.3 SB in the pot when the action is on hero on 3'rd. You have two options:

1)put in 2 bets and then both almost always see fifth
2)put in 1 bet and then see fourth with the best hand

If you just call third, on fourth, there are four outcomes - you brick/he doesn't, he bricks/you don't, both do, neither do. So, by calling third as a 2:1 favorite on average or whatever you are, you've already said "my skill edge is so huge that I'm not only passing up winning an extra 1/3 SB in Sklansky bucks right now, I'm also gonna fold (quite possibly the best hand and certainly one with lots of equity) 1 in 4 times, giving up ~2 SB in Sklansky bucks when I do." The same thing happens when you both brick fourth and he catches much better on fifth, so you can toss some more equity out the window there too.

In other words, every time you do this, you hand the villain a small bet out of your pocket in a limit game where, if you're really good, you might average that much over 25 hands.

Meanwhile, the same guy who thinks he has such a huge edge on his opponent here is also asking whether a bet with a made 7 into a guy who wa clearly drawing/will always call with an 8 and even some nines is thin.