View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Poll: best way to determine NCAA Div I Football National Champion?

[ QUOTE ]
In an eight-team playoff they can still backdoor their way in, and that's bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh. all year long I think we've had one team trying to out-backdoor the other to get back into the race.
I forget the order but it was just silly with each 1 or 2 team losing week after week and 2 other teams 'backdooring' their way into the chase only because somebody else lost.

It doesn't make it exciting for me. I just think it's kind of stupid. I like the games enough as it is but all this stuff of "USF loses and now BC is in the picture...BC loses and now Oregon is in the picture...Oregon loses and now Kansas is in the picture...LSU loses, again, and now WV is in the picture" blah blah blah.

It's non-stop backdooring and you still have OSU hoping they get to backdoor their way in if OU can knock of Mizzou.

So I don't really have a problem with LSU backdooring their way in to a 4 team or 8 team playoff. I feel like it's happening every single week.
You will simply have a situation of 2 losses still being realistically good enough to stay in the title chase. Losing 3 games and you are most certainly out.
A BCS team losing only 1 game all year pretty much gets to stay in the picture more often than not although you will have some situations like KU right now who would likely not make the cut.

Anyway, my preference would actually be for 16 teams in a college playoff.
Give teams like HAW, BSU and maybe even BYU a chance.
I think it would be tremendously exciting. If they get blown out by LSU or OSU by 45 points then no biggie. Not really different than Duke winning their first round basketball game by 45 points.