View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 02:19 PM

Default WSOP League Structure/Payout Ideas

So our group is gearing up for a 10-tournament series to send some of us to the WSOP for as many $1500 NLHE seats as we can. We have 30-40 of us who rotate in and out, and I suspect more will want to play as this goes on, so I'm setting it up so that playing in only a few tourneys still gets you a piece of the pie. It'll be a big pile of contracts, but it's for the greater good (the greater good).

We'll play 10 $100 buyin tournaments (probably 20-30 people each), you get to count your top 8 to the points (allowing one missed tournament and one really bad performance). $50 of the pool is for the week's prize (50/30/20), $50 to the WSOP fund.

My one trusted source says that 40% is somewhat standard for those who get their entry backed, so those who win the seats will keep 40% of whatever they cash.

7% of total cashes will go to the house to be used transparently for improvements for the game as a whole (tables, chairs, cards, rent on a bigger space, etc), as I'll be working fewer hours and spending a lot of time running this.

As to the rest, players will have shares based the following formula where 'x' is number of tournaments played: x * ( 1 + x/10 ) ... and if you play all 10, you get 3x, or 30 shares.

From some estimates on how I think it'll pan out, I think we'll be able to send 6 people. If we cash for $100k total, each share will be about $50, to give a sense of how it translates. Someone who played all 10 but didn't get sent would be paid $1500.

This is the first time I'm doing this, and I have some contracts someone supplied me from another group's league, and we have good lawyers among us, so we'll get it all set up and written down ahead of time.

I think the structure will attract those who don't feel they have a shot at a seat but still want a share in a possible jackpot. This will be especially important half-way through, as word spreads and more want to play. It will also allow those who realize they have no shot to sit out later tournaments without being forced to pony up for the entire league. I think if we did a set player list, many of our weaker players wouldn't participate, exactly the opposite of what we want.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? We'll be starting this in January, one tournament every two or three weeks.