View Single Post
Old 05-06-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Pipe smoking (Tobacco)

I'm a few years younger than you, and I used to smoke a pipe (occasionally). Some people think it's cool, most people think it's weird. Almost no one our age smokes them, people who do tend to be D&D or LoTR junkies or otherwise can't pull any tail. However, I find pipe smoking to be far and away the most pleasurable way to enjoy your tobacco.

As far as pipe type goes, it's more or less common sense. A $100 pipe isn't going to smoke any better than a $20 pipe, so it's pretty much aesthetic once you decide to ditch the corncobs. Sherlocks are a little easier to hold in your mouth, as they kind of fit the contour of your upper palate. However spit tends to drain down into the stem, which has it's drawbacks. As far as size goes, I wouldn't bother getting one with a huge bowl on it unless you actually plan on using the huge bowl, as they're a little harder to light and keep lit. I generally like a short 5-10 minute smoke, and I go with small, straight stemmed pipes.

In general, I've found that people very much do like the smell of pipe smoke and I've even lived with people for whom pipe smoking was ok in the house, where cigarettes and cigars were not.

Another thing to mention is that pipes can be a challenge to keep lit, at least until you get used to it. You generally have to keep airflow on the cherry for a little while after lighting until it's gets going, and even after that you can't put it down for a minute or two and expect it to still be going in the way a cigar would. Also you should let a cake (that is, a layer of already smoked tobacco) build up in the bowl, which will help keep the pipe lit.

The 'ooh that smells good approach' is pretty much what I've used to pick my tobacco out and has always served me fine. Try to get some sort of sampler from the store and if they blend anything in house, get that.