Thread: INS marriages
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Re: INS marriages

[ QUOTE ]
"The interesting thing is that almost everyone to whom I tell this story knows someone who married completely for INS reasons AND it is often the case that the couple stayed together after their five year yoke was up."

I think this has a lot to do with the man being the US citizen most of the time and the girls coming from cultures that are a lot more patriarchal than the West. After you are with a girl who worships you and waits on you hand and foot, its probably real tough to go back to a standard American nag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point, and the 'waiting on hand and foot' could be exacerbated by the fact that the man and/or woman might perceive some special debt w/r/t the INS marriage.

I have an American friend who married a beautiful, intelligent, Japanese girl who is also the heir to a huge fortune (her father OWNS the Japanese equivalent of Dorritos). They married legitemately and he had to go to Japan to be installed as a supervisor in her father's company (though he speaks no Japanese and has no skills). She has an MBA from an American university, will become CEO of her father's company when he dies. Despite this, she waits on him hand and foot when she comes back from a hard days work and seems quite happy to do it.

Sigh. Japanese girls.