View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Freedom in spite of government

[ QUOTE ]
All anarcho-capitalists are against the existence of corporations. They accomplish two things: 1) shield their shareholders from fraud (which is not a good thing imo), and 2) produce tax benefits, which is just protection from something that the government is wrongly doing to them in the first place. It's like buying "insurance" from the mafia.

I agree that some market innovation has been facilitated by government subsidies, just as I believe that the government has passed some laws that did good (the pure food and drug act, for example). But overall, I believe the net result is wholly negative.

Calling American business "capitalism" is preposterous. Capitalism specifically denotes a free market, and ours is anything but.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, fine, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't claim on the one hand that the free market provides all that is good about our society and then turn around and claim that the free market doesn't even exist.

And I realize that ACers are against the concept of the corporation. But that's just the rub--the corporation has been fundamental to the technological growth of the last 150 years, and it continues to be so. And government is fundamental to the existence of the corporation.

If there is any force that decreases time preference better than anything else, it's technology. But as I look at anarchocapitopia, all I can see is a map with two dots and a legend that states "you can't get there from here."