View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Future of the MMB forum discussion

[ QUOTE ]
My gut reaction to this was that I'm done with this forum, but you make some good points and i'm willing to give it a wait and see approach now and see how and where it goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, seriously. I know it's not easy to have someone just come in and say "hey we're changing things and here's how it's gonna be." That being said, I wouldn't do it if I didn't genuinely believe I could help. Also, I hope you can tell that I want this to be an open discussion and in no way plan to make this a dictatorship (except on the links issue).

There's a couple important things in your post that I want to touch on.

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is much harder to describe a website than it is to describe a hand in poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely, so we're going to have to get creative. I really want to emphasize that the goal is the IMPROVE the forum, not kill it. I want you guys to PM me so we can figure out ways to get across effective questions without breaking rules set by the people that run the site. Obviously this is going to drive traffic down initially, but I don't believe that simple post/day stats are the way to judge how successful a forum is. I think in the long term this will really make things better.

[ QUOTE ]
I think it would be good if we can post examples of what is good or bad site design .

[/ QUOTE ]
I absolutely agree and I've already started thinking about ways to do that and still conform to the rules. I also think the group can give some great input on this topic.

[ QUOTE ]
most of us in this are basically begineers and it is going to take us awhile before we become the experts that can generate the high quality content you are seeking

[/ QUOTE ]
Fair enough. A lot of my faith in my plan comes from empirical evidence. When I started posting on 2+2 about 2 1/2 years ago I was playing small stakes limit. There was a big group of us posting in that area that had all joined the site in a 6 month-ish range. We all started as novices together and out of that group came some phenomenal learning and truly awesome players. Putting yourself in a position where you are struggling just to tread water (keep up with complicated discussion) is the best way to learn in my experience. I learned most of what I know about business and finance the same way and I tell everyone that that asks how to learn those things.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you will see that overtime, the quality of this forum will improve on its own

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe, but I think I can accelerate that process. I'm interested in trying and I've ben given the chance by Mat.