View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 08:31 PM

Default Re: To Open Limp or to Open Raise

I don't think open limping is bad under the right conditions. Namely a loose passive table with players that can't fold. And it might apply to limit more than NL, but it applies to most live low limit games. A hand like Q,J that you might never play from an early position can become quite profitable if the flop averages 5-8 and most of these will take any pair to the river.

I think this could also be profitable even if a player in late posiation raises as all the limpers will call and now the pot's even bigger meaning even more will stick around post flop. Of course you must hve decent post flop skills so if the flop comes A,Q,5 you're not one of "those players" taking your queen to the river.

But if your talking about opening from a later position after 3-4 folds, then I would say only play hands that you can open for a raise. You can't get the callers for a multi way pot so you want to accomplish two things. 1. Have a good hand if called by a player after (cut off, button) you as you'll be oop for the rest of the hand and if #1 doesn't happen 2. make the blinds pay to play. No reason to give the bb a free sgot at beating you.