View Single Post
Old 05-19-2007, 12:34 AM

Default Re: NY Times article about lack of readiness for college

[ QUOTE ]
You're making a mistake assuming that standardized tests actually set a floor. I teach standardized testing for a living (maybe I'm part of the problem, but I do it for the monies), and can tell you without a doubt that most standardized tests can be beaten with almost no actual knowledge of the subject matter.

Standardized testing plus teach-to-the-test curricula create a lot of false positives, allowing ill-equipped students into programs they are not at all qualified to attend.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. I am assuming they set a floor, when I really mean they should set a floor. And although you say that the tests can be beaten with little to no actually knowledge of the subject matter, what does it say when students can't even pass these beatable tests?

From what I've read, having too many students pass the tests, or having some slip by that aren't qualified is generally not a widespread problem. Those few who do slip by, with help from people like you, are quickly weeded out by other means. At least I hope those guys who beat the MCAT are.