View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 03:39 PM

Default Re: A5s in blind battle.

My post is rubbish. I am totally unable to articulate, or even properly conceptualise, this idea. Every so often I read a post that awakens the feeling that there is a better approach that there is a better way of playing MTTs than simply calculating exploiting the cEV of each hand we are dealt. It kind of ties in to Nath's Freaknomics thread, and various other threads, and a particularly good trip I had last year before I went on a hot streak.

As I say, I can't express what I mean but, in short, I do find this idea of manipulating volatility and a pf risk management strategy interesting and potentially useful.

DJK, FWIW, when talking about improved fields, it's more the standardising of the way that improved field plays that I find interesting. It's not 'everyone's better therefore I should take more flips because I have less overall edge' but something more like 'everyone's going to play the same so I will profit more overall by deviating from the pattern in considered way'. To use an STT analogy, the same formula of playing tight early and then going batshit on the bubble is still profitable, as it was when I started playing, but I think that this suggests that other strategies are more profitable nowadays when 6 and not 1 of the table is playing essentially the same strategy (if perhaps not as optimally).

Anyway, these are inchoate ramblings and I will shut up now. Baltostar has not made me see the light but I'm willing to give him the chance.

FWIW, I don't know much about stock trading but it doesn't seem especially relevant to MTT poker.