View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Ranking Spielberg

"I think in some ways, Dom may have been reading a bit too much AICN lately or the random crap you'll see at IMDB where every retardt thinks that they know film because they decided to get baked and watch the matrix. It's kind of the problem with the internet in that people often refuse to admit that they may not know jack. Personally, I feel that I know a decent amount about film, but you'll rarely catch me trying to profess about something that I know little about because I watched Pulp Fiction and haven't watched anything before 1989 or haven't watched something a bit further afield. I may just be reaching on what I think that dom is trying to accomplish here, because well, the point may just be to garner some real debate, which is more then fine by me"

Lotta truth here.

They watch a few quirky Indie or Foreign films and suddenly think themselves to be the next Pauline Kael. I know, I used to be like that when I first discovered films outside the mainstream. Didn't seek out old movies or give a chance to movies that made money. My rule was that movie had to star Jason Lee, Steve Buscemi, Parker Posey, be directed by Kevin Smith, Tarantino, Linklater, DiCillo - those people were the Indie Gods of my younger years. The Internet was still in its infancy, so you were reduced to feeling all smart and sophisticated by yourself or with those few friends you weren't berating for going to see "The Nutty Professor."