View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Ask me about China - a Chinese-born Foreigner\'s Impression

[ QUOTE ]
What are your thoughts in regards to the political climate amongst the population? Your grandparents must be really interesting to talk to since they have lived through so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone is just trying to go along in the daily lives. While personally I've had an uncle under house arrest without charge for a few years, stuff like that is almost accepted as the cost of doing business and building relationships. He's now out and freely buying into gaming floors in Macau.

My thoughts are that there is going to a huge rise in the number of the educated middle-class over the coming decade, and they are going to form families and have children it is going to prove incredibly difficult to provide for their wants without isolating the rural poor. It is going to be impossible for every middle class family to own a car without f'ing up what is already a very chaotic and messy roads system.

As far as I can tell, there are no politics in China. The Communist Party is in charge, and that's really that. Dissent from public figures like actors, directors, authors, playwrights and artists are very quickly clamped down. In general the people are just going about their daily lives in this free-market economy and not interested in Grand Ideals.