View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Re: This kinda pissed me off

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen them sell used games for almost the exact same price as the new version, in fact they tried to sell me a used version of some game recently for $55 when the new version was $60, so I assume that they would do the same for my mint condition THPG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why didn't you buy a used copy yourself?

Because it wasn't discounted heavily enough. I imagine no one would buy a used copy of the game unless it was in fact a bargain, which 55$ on a 60$ game is not. I think the true market value of the used copies is roughly 70% of new value (is this reasonable?), give or take 5-10% for the condition of the game. I doubt their used games marked down ~10% from the new price move at even 1/10th of the speed of their new merchandise. This creates stale inventory, which eventually needs to be unloaded at even lower prices.

I suppose a fair offer for your game would have been roughly half price, 20$ does sound a bit low. Then again, you made the mistake, you aren't in the position to be dictating terms.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this was so obvious then why would they do it to begin with? People seem to give them a ton of credit for recognizing profitable decisions regarding the return policy, I think that they would also know the most profitable price for various used games based on having this situation come up millions of times. If the $55 used version never sold, then I'm sure they would have listed it at $50 or $45. While the $5 or $10 difference may not mean anything to me, it may for some people who are getting paid $7 an hour at their job.

The rest of your points are valid, I agree that I am not entitled to anything given the policy. I still think it's unfair, but that is all. Fair means nothing. I think a decent comparison would be to Blockbuster when they had those ridiculous late fees. People would return a movie or game late, and they might end up paying more than the actual price of the product because they forgot to return it. Just about everybody thought it was an insane policy and completely unfair. What makes this situation any different? Did the people complaining about Blockbuster's unreasonable late fees have a legitimate beef? After all it was their fault for not returning the video on time, they knew the policy, etc.