View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: (well i thought it was) short, boring trip report to ebro, FL

I've played there twice now and like it much more than I thought I would.

You don't have to pay the $2 admission on race-days after your first appearance there as long as you sign-up for the free players-card. Once you get the players-card you just walk right in even on race-days I believe.

Drinks and food are okay but not free which is something I got used to in Tunica.
I've had to pay $1.70 for each of my cokes but when I'm paying that much for a really teeny coke-cup I tend to limit my intake. Learned from a regular about the $2 or $3 larger cokes or whatever available at the concession stand downstairs.

No max-rake without any betting or any such California sillyness to my knowledge. I don't know absolutely for certain about no-flop-no-drop though but I don't think so.
Had a hand or two where there were 3 or 4 limpers in for $10 or something pre-flop and then somebody would go all-in for $100+ and everyone would fold. Forgot to see if they raked that but I don't think so.

Some dealers aren't so great but they have all been better than many of the dealers I saw working at the WSOP in LV who were simply terrible and seem to put in a bit more effort than a couple of the dealers I've had at the Tunica-Grand.

Most dealers in Ebro try to run a pretty smooth game and do a decent job of it even if they aren't as fast as the Bellagio dealers or something. They seem to understand that faster hands = more tips and try to keep the game moving. To the extent that one dealer unwisely called time on a player without anyone else requesting it. The player was facing a difficult all-in decision and got pretty ticked at the dealer. I wasn't paying full-attention to the situation as I had already folded and was busy watching the bugs attack the Yankees in Cleveland on TV but my impression was that the dealer's actions were pretty inappropriate. The player did not appear to handle it very well however and the chewing-out he gave the dealer was about as equally inappropriate imo.

Other than that though the palyers and games are about as friendly as can be. Locals getting drunk on beer after beer and happily giving away $50-$100 at a time.

Floor is friendly.
Room is very clean which impressed me.

The room is definitely more crowded on Thu through Sunday. I'm actually surprised at the high amount of traffic there on a weekend during non-tourist season in Panama City. Have to think action will pick up even more and be relatively crowded by Feb, Mar, Apr. As it is now, Panama City is REALLY dead...yet the poker-room is still doing decently imo.
Not using all tables on the Friday night I went but definitely a fair majority of them which ain't bad considering how dead this area is right now.

Players may be slightly worse than typical 1/2 or 1/3 NL games in Tunica. Tunica players are pretty bad but I think Ebro has them beat.

ev_slave - they were only allowed to spread 2/2 limit in Florida until the new law on July 1. I'm guessing you must have played in Ebro before then. When the new law came in then all the rooms changed across the state.
Ebro now has 1/2 and 2/5 NL for $100 max buy-in.