View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

1pOkerboy,

you're right that he's only calling 6% in the moment preflop. he is correct to call. but the lrr is the one who profits from the money going in. any additional money that goes in preflop is good from the lrr's standpoint and bad from the caller's standpoint. if lrr can raise more and still get called, he should.

put another way, the more AA can get into the pot preflop, the better off he is. if a small lrr results in the most money going in, it is almost always better. the exception is when the value of information lost exceeds the cost of the additional money going in. but that's rare if you leave some nonpair hands other than AA/KK in the range.

globally, putting 10% in against that range with 66 to set mine is negative EV. (i have done the math.) my guess is you are underestimating set-over-set effects.

overall 66's preflop play costs him money. planning preflop such that he ends up in that situation more often helps you. yes, there are caveats and ranges to consider and information costs, but this one is pretty clear as nl decisions go.

here's an extreme and contrived example. put a third player in the hand with KK. suppose one minraises to 2bb, 66 calls, then each minraises. you are correct to call 2bb more. in fact 66 is correct, in isolation and disregarding prior and future action, to call each 2bb raise right up until he are all-in with 66 against AA and KK with < 17% equity. he still botched the hand badly.

with the lrr 66 does't necessarily make a mistake, but it does fall victim to the bad end of a range, namely the limp-reraising end of the limper's limping range.

matt