Old 11-19-2007, 11:55 PM

Default Way-Too-Early NBA Rookie of Year Predictions

My top 5:

1) Al Horford, ATL
2) Yi Jianlian, MIL
3) Kevin Durant, SEA
4) Sean Williams, NJ
5) Jeff Green, SEA

Horford's averaging nearly a double-double with a steal and two blocks per game while shooting 50% from the field. Atlanta still sucks, but they seem to suck less than in recent years. I give him some of the credit.

Yi has been surprisingly good, averaging 10/7 w/ a steal and 2 blocks a game. I strongly considered putting him at #1 and think he has a very good chance at getting there in the near future if he continues to improve and Pachulia's return to health combined with Atlanta's tweener F glut dig into his minutes at all. Yi could be really, really good - even for a 26-year old rookie.

Durant's got the lovely 19.7 a game, but that's very deceptive. He's among the worst in the league from the floor (38% on an amazing 19 FGA/G) and from three-point land (28% on 5.5 3PA/G). Yes, Seattle sucks - but those numbers mean he's done more harm than good. I've seen him play - he roams the perimiter and hoists a diversified array of contested jumpers and threes. I assume he'll figure out how to play well at the NBA level, but we're not really seeing it now.

Sean Williams has apparently kept his felonious urges in check for long enough to demonstrate he can be a legit NBA big man. He's shooting well in the post and blocking shots like it's his job. What? Oh...nevermind.

Jeff Green has been OK. I figured him for 12/5 as a rookie and would guess that's where he ends up in March - he's 10/4 now in 20 mpg off the bench. He'll be a solid pro, though Yi was still the obvious choice for Seattle imo.