View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Monoploy: Luck or Skill?

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, I have a few more questions:

1. Say there are only four houses left to buy. Player A has Hotels on his monopoly and Player B has enough room/money to buy four more houses. Player B declares I want to buy those houses. Player A then states I'm selling back one of my hotels, and putting up those four houses. Who has priority here and is this a legal move? Can Player A declare he's selling back one of his hotels (and putting up four houses, so he's really only selling back one "house" if you consider a hotel 5 houses, I think you know what I mean) after the fact that Player B declares he wants to purchase those houses?

2. Scenario: All houses are bought up. Player A has one monopoly with three hotels, all other property is mortaged, and has zero cash (for simplicity). If Player A lands on ANY spot that makes him pay money, does he have to sell all three hotels back? Remember, all houses are bought up and you can't build unevenly.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. 1st declaration happens first, player B has the right to buy them. This is crystal clear. Turn is completely irrelevant, however the game gets more interesting if you add a house rule saying that you can only buy houses on your turn before you throw since it is a much tougher risk/reward decision to make than after you throw.

2. Hmmm, I don't remember if selling unevenly is allowed, I am quite sure it is, but haven't played in a long while now, so got a bit uncertain. I am 95% sure he can sell just one hotel.

EDIT: In the official rules, turn is not very important, everybody can buy/sell houses and discuss and conduct trades whenever they want, regardless of whose turn it is. The games flows better however if you make some rules about it (i.e. it has to be your turn to initiate a trade discussion, you don't discuss when others discuss, do not interfere in other discussions before the initiator invites you etc.).