View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Review of the heads up play

[ QUOTE ]
Garland,

When you are saying "you" I assume you are talking about DD?

[ QUOTE ]
27:20 - Given previous action, Joe made a very questionable river value bet with J6 on K36 7 Q board after DD checked river with K7. I was going to say DD played it badly by checking the river, but then Joe played it even worse by betting it! Good fold by Joe in the end though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are being results oriented here, I feel. You'd be surprised on how often DD has a 3 or a lesser 6.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Joe,

Obviously I could be biased as prefaced before critiquing seeing both sets of hole cards, but I don't feel I'm results oriented here. I fail to see the "you" ambiguity in the quoted segment. I referenced both Joe and DD in that entire segment. Maybe you're talking about another hand that you forgot to include.

Let’s replay the hand in question:

You’re on button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and open. DD defends with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (he could have anything except real utter trash like 32o or 42o). Flop comes K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. DD check, Joe bets, DD check-raise, Joe 3-bet, DD just calls. Ok I’ll buy that you can be ahead at this point.

Turn comes 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. DD checks, Joes bets, DD check-raises again! Now at this point I would have to put DD on either (a) a monster [keeping in mind that top pair is still a monster heads up] or (b) a semi-bluff of [I’m stretching here, diamonds?], but it’s kind of a bad bluff spot because of the action you’ve given because after you 3-bet the flop, you tend to get to showdown. In addition, he’s more likely to semi-bluff in position than out of position giving more weight to a strong made hand. If DD had a lesser hand like 3 or 6 weak kicker, he’s more likely to check-call you down especially out of position. Given all this, you should believe you’re behind when the turn check-raise comes back to you. Calling the turn check-raise in itself was somewhat marginal not only because you’re given 8:1 on a 5 out proposition (which is only slightly taking the worst of it), but also because DD represented the K on the flop, and now on the turn there’s a very real non-zero possibility of 2 pair including the K killing 3 of your outs with bad reverse implied odds if you catch two pair and then the line certainly goes bet/3-bet by DD and you pay off.

Well, now you called the turn check-raise. And if I do, it’s with the intent of folding to a river bet unimproved. River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. When DD checks the river, I’m really happy to see the showdown. I strongly suspect DD is either trapping or giving up on his bluff and turbo-mucking to a bet and there is no pay-off. But you just had to bet it, huh? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Whew, a lot of analysis for one hand, but do you see where I’m coming from? Yes, I can see his K7, but even without it, DD has taken such a strong line here that given he hasn’t been out of line OOP in big bet streets, I’d give him respect and fold to the turn check-raise.

Garland