View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 01:33 AM

Default bob is right, just about everyone else has it wrong

Virtually every cardroom I've ever been in makes the sb dead, even if only the sb was missed. But why?

If a player misses BOTH blinds, and wants to come back in before their bb, the sb needs to be dead because if it were live the total would exceed the bb. This makes sense.

Now, what if only the sb is missed? What logical reason can their be to penalize this player by making them post a dead sb? I can't think of one. Their missed blind does not exceed the size of the minimum bet, so why should it be dead anyway? In games with only one blind a missed blind would be live, as it doesn't exceed the minimum bet. Why the extra penalty in two blind games? It doesn't make any sense and should be changed.

In many rooms, if a live straddle is allowed, then both blinds can be made up and are both live when contained in the live straddle. Again, this makes sense. About the only good thing harrahs has ever done for poker was adopt this rule for cash games during wsop (tho I'm not certain the true source of that rule).

In one room I know of, if the player comes back on the next hand after missing their sb, a missed sb can be posted inbetween, but the button skips over them. This rule is fine.

I've been in one room where the sb can be posted live. Never caused any problem. That's one that got it right. Why does everyone else have it so very wrong?

I guarantee one thing, there's a coffee/cigarette breath stiff of a nit behind the way it is now.

Al