View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Saving the Earth from people

[ QUOTE ]
Lastly she states "Having children is selfish." and I must insist that as I examine the life choices of so many 20 somethings and 30 somethings, not having children is quite possible the most selfish act they choose. It's contrary to nature in the deepest way and an expression of self interest at its worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite the contrary. Ask anyone why they want a baby. They’ll say: because I want someone to carry on my name, because I want a beautiful little boy ( girl ) to love, because I want somebody who will love me, because I don’t wish to be alone in my old age. Etc, etc. I hardly ever hear anyone giving an altruistic reason for wanting to have a kid of their own. If you are a true altruist, why not adopt?

On a recent History channel episode regarding things that will end human life on earth, several people were asked - what would you do if you knew you had two years on this planet and there was absolutely, beyond any doubt nothing you or anyone else could do. One person said he would crash the playboy mansion, another said he would travel, but several people said - “ well, I’ve never had kids, so I think I would have a child". My God man, these folks who want to have children of their own are among the most selfish people on earth.