View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Account Hacked on Stars Currently

[ QUOTE ]
***3. And for god's sake, one feature EVERY site needs to implement NOW is to make your login name DIFFERENT FROM YOUR SCREENAME! This is such a no-brainer, it hurts. Raymer had his Stars account hacked last yr b/c someone knew his Stars screename (obviously) and guessed his password, which raymer admits was far too weak.

well, this is inspiring me to go change all my poker site passwords to something more cryptic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean, duh, that is so obvious. There are two keys to getting into your account: your username and your password. Half of that equation is on full display for the whole world to see.

At my place of employment, the IT department specifically disallows applications from using the phrase: "Sorry, but that screen name is already taken," or anything similar. The phrase must be something like "Invalid screen name." "Screen name does not meet login rules" "Please select a different screen name", etc. Why? Because a hacker or other malicious person could obtain part of the information necessary to break into the system in question simply by entering random usernames.