View Single Post
Old 08-12-2007, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Best Index Investment Strategy?

Tom,

Thanks for all the great information and level of detail. This is very, very helpful.

Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean when you say "you might consider a municipal bond fund instead of these taxable fund, although it should still be short or intermediate term." I'm in a high tax bracket, combined with my wife's income, and I have absolutely no idea how that should, if at all, alter our strategy today.

Also, when you mention "tax efficient," in relation to the Total Stock market fund, what does that mean? How can I judge the "efficiency" of a fund and is it an important consideration for an investor in my shoes?

Also when you say "you definitely want to wait at least one year and one day so that any sales are considered long-term capital gains," pardon my ignorance but, does this mean that tax rates are different on a sale of a fund or stock held a month versus one held for over a year? If so, how different?

Regarding forecasting, although your against it I have to ask if it is a bad idea to touch REIT's right now.

Again, great, great information. Thanks.