View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Re: should I take the AP calc test?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Take the test and ace it, so you don't have to re-take them in college. My roommate my freshman year could've taken Calc 3 his first semester because he got credit for Calc 1 and 2 via the AP exam. Instead of just going directly into Calc 3 though, he chose to start in Calc 2 and ended up failing it, and had to re-take it again the following semester [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
are the AP exams really that much easier then taking the class in college?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

I brought in ~50 AP credits, and every single time I have had the opportunity to compare the AP exam difficulty (or the coursework of the equivalent high school class) with the college version, the college version is always much more difficult.

And its not because you are missing out on important material with the AP test compared to the college class, but instead you run into stuff like brutal curves in intro level classes to weed people out (my psych class: max of 5% As)

Calc I and II are the most failed/dropped classes on my campus.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well I didn't take AP classes in high school and now I regret it. Calc I was a breeze but Calc II was pretty difficult, seemed liked quite a few people dropped it because the class was pretty full at the beginning of the year and by the time the final rolled around I would say 30-40% of those people were gone.