View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Man kills 2 People While 911 Is Telling Him Not To

[ QUOTE ]
Boris, which parts of 'Wanna make a bet? I'm gonna kill 'em' and 'Bang you're dead' makes you think he wasn't intending to kill these guys?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think he was responding to a hypothetical of the 911 operator saying "You're going to get shot."
[ QUOTE ]
Believing that he has the right to take out burglars is a legit point of view. I don't agree with it, but it's legit. But listening to that phone call and coming away with the belief that he went outside solely because his property was under serious threat, took every possible precaution to avoid injuring these guys, and fired only because he was threatened and there was no other to protect himself, is extraordinary.

[/ QUOTE ]
Neither was the case, IMO. He certainly didn't have the right to just kill them because they had a bag o' loot. Legal maybe, but I don't think anybody defending him is talking about that. He went into an extremely stressful situation with incomplete information (Are they armed? What's in his hand? Is he trying to run at me or past me?) and had to make a decision quickly. He didn't have to be 100% certain he was acting in self-defense. For the thieves, any response other than dropping their bag and raising their hands was going to be incredibly dangerous.

JMO. I've picked up somebody else's gun thinking there was a small possibility I might have to shoot somebody, and that was extremely stressful. Not getting shot, not having friends shot, and not going to jail (weird, given I'd done absolutely nothing illegal, but didn't know WTF was going on) were the main thoughts in my head, along with "Holy [censored] [censored]" over and over. I certainly didn't want to shoot anybody, but the thought process at the time is that you aren't about to shoot somebody who isn't threatening you, so whoever that person is his welfare isn't much of a priority compared to mine.

Running towards a guy with a shotgun 15 feet away in the hopes he wouldn't shoot him was suicide, IMO (if that was what happened). I might have had a very similar conversation with the 911 operator, and gone out there strictly in the hopes of detaining those guys, but could see things easily going south quickly if the bad guys did something idiotic like run towards me. Not because they would have deserved, but because I'd have been scared poopless and had a split-second life or death decision to make.