View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 02:18 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller
Default Re: ***Official 2007-2008 NHL Season Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
Sunny,

In the Rangers thread you referenced a lot of advanced hockey statistics. This topic really interests me. One website I found that discusses this is http://www.hockeyanalytics.com/

Do you have any other resources or have time to discuss these statistics via PM with me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Rubeskies,

The Hockey Analytics website you reference is far and away the best and most comprehensive. Ryder's work is groundbreaking. The only thing that sucks is that he publishes his findings only once a year at the end of the season (save for a few stray articles), so there isn't anything on the current season. I like the Hockey Numbers website for current advanced stats (I linked to it in my post in that Rangers thread), but it's pretty crude in its presentation and you kinda have to know what you're looking at.

Hockey stats are still largely in the primitive stages, but there are definitely people who are advancing the puck, so to speak. I've done some research on the topic, and I'd be happy to share what I know - but I'm not an expert nor have I done any serious math crunching (although I've emailed with people who have, including Ryder).

If you want to ask questions here, or maybe start another hockey stats thread in this forum, it might be more fun than PM since others could also ask and chime in with what they know. I'd be happy to contribute.

-S