View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Re: NCAA Football Week 11

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just to recap:

Tim Tebow threw for 300 yards, 2 TDs. He ran for 120 yards and 5 TDs.

But he isn't the frontrunner for the Heisman because Dennis Dixson's team has less losses and because he is a sophomore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim Tebow 5 Yd Run (Joey Ijjas Kick)
Tim Tebow 1 Yd Run (Joey Ijjas Kick)
Tim Tebow 3 Yd Run (Joey Ijjas Kick)
Tim Tebow 2 Yd Run (Joey Ijjas Kick)
Tim Tebow 5 Yd Run (Joey Ijjas Kick)

big effin deal

if the Florida Gaytors (7-3) had a running back he wouldn't need to carry it in from there.

Go Ducks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Big effin deal? He had other very awesome runs & no one here, especially Gator fans are knocking DD. They're neck & neck, IMO & the rest of the season should determine the winner, but Tebow's toughest opponents are behind him & he has performed amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy Gator...I wasn't knocking Tebow, just Florida's lack of another running back and the amazing number of opportunities to score from within 5 yards.

The number of short TD runs by TT yesterday inspired me to do a little digging into his stats, which quickly grew into a look at the stats of DD, TT, and the teams as a whole. Some interesting things popped up, and I'm not sure if they have any real meaning or not.

First, let's just look at the overall stats of DD & TT:

TT obviously has the edge in the number of rushing TDs, but DD has over one YPC more and has ripped off a long one for a touchdown.
Although their completion percentages, TDs, and INTs are damn near identical (projecting one more game for Dixon), Tebow averages over 20 yards a game more, 1.5 yards/attempt more, and his QB rating is exceptional.

The stats at the bottom look at the length of scoring plays, and here you really see the results of the big play offense of Oregon. Dixon's rushing TDs are over 9 yards longer than Tebow's, and his passing TDs are over 11 yards longer. As a team, Oregon's rushing TDs by other ball carriers are over 5 yards longer than Florida's.

So, Tebow is aided by having a lot of opportunities at short rushes for TDs. As I said in my original post, it would help if Florida had another running back to carry the ball into the endzone. Oregon has 20 rushing TDs by someone other than Dixon, and Florida has 11. What is amazing is that 8 of the 11 rushing TDs by someone other than Tebow came in the first three games.

So how does Florida have so many opportunities for short TDs? Well it's interesting to look at the team stats for each team.

Somewhat amazing that Florida has 5 players who's longest run is over 20 yards, yet none of those plays are for a touchdown. Oregon has one. It's also interesting that Florida has seven players with a longest reception of over 30 yards, but only three of those longest plays are for TDs. Notice the number of Oregon receivers who's longest reception was also a score. At a glance it looks like the Oregon players to a better job of taking the play to the house and not being stopped short of the endzone, leaving an opportunity for a short TD.

One final interesing group of stats on the distance of TDs.
# TDs 1-5 yds: FL 26, OR 16
# TDs 6-10 yds: FL 6, OR 5
# TDs 11-20 yds: FL 9, OR 10
# TDs 21-30 yds: FL 5, OR 4
# TDs 31-40 yds: FL 3, OR 3
# TDs 41-50 yds: FL 1, OR 3
# TDs 50+ yds: FL 2, OR 7

I know that this pseudo-analysis is mostly hypothesis and guesswork, but the numbers ARE interesing to look at.