View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Re: FXI - China and market collapse

[ QUOTE ]
So my question is, does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this situation? What is the most reasonable approach to thinking about buying more / selling my holding?

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the most important things is to have objectives and a reason to sell before you buy. You need to define your reason for purchase and a situation which would force you to sell, trim, or add to your position.

I actively manage (now) over 50% of my basic fund portfolio and my strategy has had me initially 10% in Grt China (inc HK, Taiwan) and 10% in Pacific basin stocks for at least a couple of years now. These positions have grown to around 15-20% each of this portion of my account.

I'm not (too) worried though. When things change I'll get a flag and move the money elsewhere.

This 50% of my portfolio (the other 50% was B&H) has had me invested for the last few years in S.America, Pacific & China, Natural resources and a few switches in & out of gold, energy, bonds, and cash.

I keep thinking these sectors/areas have run their course, but each correction barely fails to flag a sale/switch. I suppose we just hang on until the ulmighty thump.

Edited to remind myself how much I lost during the 2000+ tech meltdown without any objectives, risk management, or strategy