View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Help me choose a job out of undergrad

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
IT/tech consulting, is a great stepping stone into a number of different jobs and industries.

[/ QUOTE ]

could you elaborate a bit more on this?

All: Thanks for the advice and thoughts so far, they are much appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consulting generally allows for a very broad career path. You make many connections with the clients you work for, you get exposure to a number of different industries, and you build a huge network of contacts.

I have friends who worked at Accenture, and while you certainly hone your technical skills, there are many opportunities to expand outside of the IT world once you leave. It's also a nice option to have that techie background, because regardless of what you do, it's never a skill set that people will look down on you for having. In fact, if you do enter an industry post-consulting, your background could be a great differentiating factor amongst your peers

Additionally, consulting also offers you the opportunity to go back for an MBA quite easily. Since many consultants spend a few years in the field and then head back to the classroom, schools recruit heavily at top consulting firms.

I am currently doing management consulting, so if you do have any questions for me, shoot me a PM and i'll be happy to answer