View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 11:55 PM

Default Re: KK...a thought process in the heat of battle.

The preflop action clearly defines your hand (assuming you are not putting on a fancy move) as a big pair (or possibly AK). By raising the flop, you define your hand even further as probably an overpair and not AK.

Since I have already said I have a good hand and the pot is already fairly large, I might as well make a value raise on the flop. A three-bet on the flop or a turn donk bet by a player other than UTG means that I am probably beat (depending on my reads, off course) and I can consider slipping into call-down mode or even calling the turn and folding the river unimproved, depending on who bets the river and who overcalls. If I have a loose or tilted table image, then my hand is not so well-defined and my options may be different.

In principle, I don't hate the idea of delaying a raise until the turn on a non-scary card (in fact, I embrace it and it was one of the things I intuitively understood even before reading SSHE), but I think the concept increases in merit as the number of possible scare cards on the turn increases. I think waiting until the turn to raise would be better on a 982r flop or a 972 flop with two hearts than this one. Here, most of the draws you are defending against are five outs or less are potentially less obvious when they hit.

BTW, my last limp-reraise UTG was TT at a very loose table with a couple of very smart LAGs who liked to build big preflop pots in position with speculative hands.