View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Ask darom03 about being a sucessful telemarketer

[ QUOTE ]

It was his wife who answered the phone and I immediately explained how poor a payer his husband is. She broke into tears and told me her husband died a weak ago. I left my apology and quit my job the week after. I did, however, get employment at another telemarketing company some weeks later. But it was never the same and I only lasted a couple of month grossing below average. That spelled the end of a career spanning nearly eight years. Eight years of deceits, lies and a feeling of inexplainable pride...

[/ QUOTE ]

deja vu, darom03. i know that rush, repeatedly overcoming the fear of rejection does incredible things for the ego. it translates into confidence that women pick up on... well, that, and i was used to getting no for answer all day.

i dropped out of telemarketing early '06, mortgages at that time. the deal that soured it: the company's owner let some scraps fall off his 40/month loan plate 'cause i happened to pick up the phone at the "right" time. The mark: a chronically broke, over-spending single woman inherited a house from her parents while they were still alive, living there, and dependent upon her in some way.

she was looking for her 3rd re-finance in a little over a year. riding shotgun, my boss guided me on quick document gathering, immediate appraisal setting, and repeated assurances that we would get it done. a deal was jammed through New Century in less than a week. her home was now to be leveraged out at nearly 95% (under the most favorable appraisal circumstances). she was looking for an immediate $30k at the table, using her house as an ATM for an undisclosed need. so, my boss unwittingly pegged her commission @ 4.75pts.

when the $25,000 commission was disclosed for an other wise un-doable loan, my boss gambled that'd she sign: the company had unwritten policy/language to deftly skirt any pre-closing day inquiries into fee disclosure by the sub-prime community.

closing day: i stayed late that friday, and he did the deed. i was in my head all day about the loan, the commission, the business, and the impotent rationalizations... she received his basic sub-prime pitch: minimal prodding and a promise that this adjustable-rate, interest only loan (after being promised a low fixed rate, standard) would be re-financed again under more favorable terms in 6 months. he came out, pressed in armani silk as usual, and flashed the thumbs to me. cut me my largest commission check ever, and i was on my way out the door to do volunteer work for the weekend.

on my way out, i heard her laughing that she was happy to be picking up a new BMW with the proceeds. knowing her income, debt ratios, and family situation: i immediately knew that her house would be foreclosed upon within a year and that her parents would be turned out of the house they had been in for 30+ years. i showed up to collect a pay check for a few weeks after that, but i never really "showed up" again.

the only other deal in the pipe i had open closed a few weeks later, and an 87 year-old man living on social security got a no-doc/no-income verification 30-year mortgage for his unemployed son to get a house for his chronically unhappy wife. i convinced him we could get it done... we did. i don't see them there now, and i know the old man is broke from it, i convinced him that the deal hinged upon his life savings paying the closing costs.

can't see, talk, or think about the sub-prime mess without those 2 families lurking somewhere inside my soul... puuuuke.