View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Ways to improve your game without real money?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Johnny, how did you go broke? playing outside your BR?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep! Had a nice run, kept moving up, then BANG. Not sure if it was variance or bad play. BR got knocked down to the point where I was not even properly rolled for $2NL. But swore to myslef that I would grind my BR back up to a proper level. Was working until I wanted to try some HORSE, which of course the min game was way above my BR.
A few bad beats and bad plays later and busto!

I think overall I am a breakeven player (including live play which I have better results at) but have no stats to back that up. Only recently got PT and have only about 700 hands in so far so my 7PTBB/100 realy does not mean anything.

I do post hand histories and will re-deposit in the New Year to get back to money play but in the meantime is there any way to work on my game?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

People will give good advice here. There is so much you can do:
1. Watch tv and videos sure but as has been said they are highly edited and if you are a small stakes player it is not the ideal learning material IMHO.
2. Get good reading material and soak up the info.
3. I don't put much faith in play money. It is good for real noobs who are trying to learn the game. You are past that level. Can't see any real benefit there.
4. Search the internet. There is untold info out there. You probably know many of them anyway but I find Pocket Fives (no flaming please) Card Player, Full Tilt's forum and Pro Tips all very good.
5. 2+2 is my fav forum. There is just so much info here. Go over various threads that relate to you.

My biggest tip for you is to learn proper BR skills. Hundreds of posts and info on 2+2 (pzhon has this down to an art form - search his advice on bankrolling). You must know it but you obviously didn't practice it. Next time you deposit understand your levels and when to move up or down. Plan what you should do and do what you have planned. Otherwise you will go busto again.

PT is good. But also make yourself an excel spreadsheet to incorporate all your live play as well. Log everything (and I mean everything) to find out if you are a winning player.

There you go - more than 2 months worth of homework.