View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 09:08 PM

Default Re: The most amazing thing happened yesterday

How fun it is to see a CardCounter post that isn't about Bush.
[ QUOTE ]
A while back farmers would cry "free market!" at the drop of a hat. Of course, when the government moved to drop price supports, stop buying surplus to stockpile, etc. they shut up real fast.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course. They make money off prive supports, why wouldn't they? What's you're point?
[ QUOTE ]
Without government regulation, you would see the old drought, flood, wiping out farmers and then farmers boom and bust, too many bumper crops and the supply exceeds demand, etc. The government helps keep a consistent market, instead of feast or famine that you used to see in the old days.

[/ QUOTE ]
A lot of fear mongering with no substance. Are you going to take anytime to actually show why without government intervention the food market would just collapse?
[ QUOTE ]
Most wheat is traded in Kansas City. There a regulated exchange oversees the trading, so somebody can't corner the market, create artificial shortages, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course, the cries of artificial shortages. Because that's how businesses make money, by producing less...
[ QUOTE ]
Today transportation of the wheat is usually done by railroad. These railroads were granted land

[/ QUOTE ]
This means nothing when you realise the claim to the land the government has isn't legitamate, and even if it was, them granting that land hurts someone anyways. I mean, I don't suppose you were too happy with the government granting Halliburton no bid contracts in Iraq, right?
[ QUOTE ]
by the government for their tracks, and benefit from many government regulations to keep them running cheaply.

[/ QUOTE ]
Government doesn't make costs disappear, they just move them around. Government regulation costs taxpayers money, and it also hinders the market. What is so special about government regulations that private individuals wouldn't be able to figure out?
[ QUOTE ]
You might study some history, particularly the Old West, where the farmers today were granted the land from the government when the Kansas Territories where opened up, and how the railroads where able to link both coasts with government help.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you tell me how government help was superior to, any type of voluntary help?
[ QUOTE ]
You might study some of the old trading scams that were pulled with wheat, cotton, sugar, etc. That government regulations stopped the old boom/bust cycles that were pretty frequent back in the 1800s.

[/ QUOTE ]
Could such regulation only be enacted by force, and through government?

***overused strawman alert***
[ QUOTE ]
You might visit some third world, or not so third world countries, and see how that "free market" provides a very chaotic labor pool, and the "buyer beware" philosophy of eating in a resturant in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]
There is no respect for property rights in the third world, so there's not much "free market" to be had. And surely you don't think if only government intervention was used the place would instantly improve, do you?
[ QUOTE ]
It is really simple minded to chant "GOVERNMENT IS BAD".

[/ QUOTE ]
Beats the hell out of "GOVERNMENT HAS ANSWERED ALL OUR PROBLEMS" Unless of course, we're talking about Republicans that is.
[ QUOTE ]
Especially after you have taken advantage of all the infrastructure that the government has put into place (roads, railroads, markets, even a police force so you aren't killed on your way to work, etc.) Have a legal system so transactions can be conducted efficently (so buying a hamburger isn't like a cocaine deal which requires guns on both parties part, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]
And again I'm forced to repeat myself from this very thread-
[ QUOTE ]
Of course. Have the state monopolize production and stifle competition of all of the above then claim you owe the state. Interestingly enough everything you mentioned was first provided by a free market before the state's monopolization of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ask yourself why cocaine deals require guns. Can you tell me why?

I hope you can get back to me on this.