View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 11:17 PM

Default Re: Simple Basic Newbie Question......

[ QUOTE ]
JSmith2007
Thanks for responding.. I’ll try to show you my reasoning and if I’m wrong somewhere please let me know what the correct answer should be. I’m looking at COUNTING OUTS as to what cards would make my hand the “best hand ”. If I’m going about this all the wrong way

Remember this exercise is just to learn how to COUNT OUTS… assume everyone just limps for the below mentioned hands…

[5h 7s]
*** FLOP *** [Kd 3h Jh] six outs: 3 fives 3 sevens The best hand I can make so far is Trip 5’s/7’s… hence 6 outs
*** TURN *** [Kd 3h Jh] [9h] 9 outs: but I don’t believe 5 high flush will hold up. With four hearts out, the best hand I can make is 5 high flush

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">You're opponents could easily have a pair of Kings or Jacks or possibly already have two pair. A set cannot be ruled out. I would not count hitting just one 5 or 7 as an out. On the turn you have 9 outs to a flush but as you already mentioned it might not be good.

I would say the best you could do from the flop is to go runner runner, either 5,5 or 7,7. This is probably less than a 5% chance of happening. Just hitting either a 5 or 7 on the turn is about 12% or 7:1 odds. And it still will not be best if a player had pocket jacks or kings. In other words, you cannot make the nuts. </font>

[ QUOTE ]
[Ad 2c]
*** FLOP *** [Jc Ks Kh] 3 outs: 3 aces I have an OVERCARD so the best hand I can make is Trip A’s… hence 3 outs.
*** TURN *** [Jc Ks Kh] [As] two outs: 2 aces. The best hand I can make here is A’s full… hence 2 outs

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">Once again you could be way behind to a hand like A,10 or K,J. Hitting the Ace on the turn is no help, with the exception that it gives you 2 outs on the river. This has about a 5% chance of happening, or odds of about 19:1 (I didn't confirm this number, so I might be off)</font>

[ QUOTE ]
[Jc 8d]
*** FLOP *** [6c Jd Kh] 5 outs: 2 jacks 3 eights. The best hand I can make is Trip J’s or Pair of 8’s… hence 5 outs
*** TURN *** [6c Jd Kh] [4h] 2 outs: 2 jacks… The best hand I can make is Trips J’s… hence two outs

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">I would not count the 8's on the flop. It will not give you the best hand. </font>

[ QUOTE ]
[2h Ks]
*** FLOP *** [2c 5s Qh] 5 outs: 2 deuces 3 kings. The best hand I can make is Trip 2’s or Pair of K’s… hence 5 outs
*** TURN *** [2c 5s Qh] [5d] 2 outs: 2 deuces. The best hand I can make is Trip 2’s, although I could catch a K on the River, so should TOTAL OUTS still be 5?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">On the flop there is only one reason I would count the Kings. Because you already hit your 2. This gives you two pair. But as you so aptly demonstrated with your turn card thisis easily counterfitted. The 5 pairing now gives any other player with a king two pair also. So with the queen on the board the best you can do is tie. So on the turn I wouldn't count the kings as full outs. hitting a 2 is also problematic as it gives you a full house, 2's over 5's, but if another player has a 5 he has a better full house, 5's over 2's </font>

When counting outs you want to count cards cards that if you hit them with the next card they most likely give you the best hand. If you need to hit a card on both the turn and river you cannot count this as 1 out. he odds of having to hit a specific range of cards back to back drastically reduces the chance of the event actually happening.