View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Re: I Think I Have A Partial Answer

What if one to suspect that another player on a virtual stock game (based on the real stock market) were acting upon inside information. First of all, buying and selling virtual stock on inside information is unfair to the other competitors (and unethical) but surely not illegal. And if someone were to act upon a mere suspicion that this person had inside informaion, but if he also did his own homework-- would this be illegal? Perhaps not.

Nonetheless, I think people who always try to walk the hazy gray line, probing the boundary of legal and illegal are bound to find themselves in trouble, or with their reputations tarnished. In the long run, cheating doesn't pay. Why? Because you could have been the world's most successful stock trader and one incident of insider trading could put you in the history books as a cheater (besides the jail time). Forget jail, fines, lost business opportunities due to a loss of trust-- if a cheater were attuned enough, he would notice that people have forever changed the way they look at him.

Every sensible player in most every game knows where the clear white areas are, where the black areas are, and where the hazy gray line is. Forget legality, acting on inside information is unethical. People who want to dance around the boundary of legal and illegal are usually smart enough to do well straight-up but feel better about themselves sticking a foot in the dark side trying to con the system.