Thread: Car buying tips
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Car buying tips

about 10 years ago I was looking for a 2 door 95 tahoe.
I found one at a local chevy dealer. They wanted $25k for the tahoe and offered me $2k on my explorer. With tax and title it came out to around $25k. It was white with a maroon interior, which I really didn't care for and I told them and tried to go away, but they insisted I made an offer. So I offered them $15k plus my explorer.

They bitched and moaned and said make a real offer, so I said $16k. They balked so I asked for my keys. They said they couldn't find them. So I pulled out my phone and started dialing. They asked who I was calling, I said the police to report a stolen vehicle. They were not amused and miraculously found my keys.

They asked me to make another offer so I said 17k. They made me wait for 10 minutes and said ok, they accept. I then said, that's fine, but that price includes tax title and license. They bitched and moaned but finally accepted.

So the moral of the story is

1 wait till the end of the month, preferably at the end of the quarter or year, they are ready to deal.
2 Be prepared to walk away.
3 make ridiculous offers, they might just accept one.
4 After they accept the deal, make them throw something else in, like taxes and title fees, or floormats