View Single Post
Old 05-25-2007, 05:05 AM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

In another thread that got locked, Mmerli wrote [ QUOTE ]
We are looking for a few more people to come with us. A house with 4-6 people will probably be the most fun.
We are currently looking at Phuket as the best choice since we prefer beachy area and stable internet connection is obviously extremely important.
I want to point out that we are all ssnl/msnl players so we are not going to rent a huge palace over there, but a comfortable place should be possible without going broke.

[/ QUOTE ]
First of all, Phuket is not the place to go for a stable internet connection. The best I can say about it is that it often worked when we wanted it to. This is referring to our second connection because our original wasn't functional for over 8 days before we switched companies. Thailand broadband isn't even in the same league as what we're used to in the west. I can't imagine what 6 simultaneous users would be like on the connection we had.

You say you don't want a palace, but a place with 4-6 bedrooms is going to be pretty baller by definition. Like anywhere else, real estate in Thailand is all about location so you're going to pay a lot more for a place near the beach or the center of town. NewTeaBag and I looked at some places that were huge and inexpensive, but they can best be described as being in suburbia, and this was something we wanted to avoid.

Any place this large is going to have maid's quarters and hiring a maid would probably be worth it with so many people. For about $150-200/month you can get someone full-time who's trained to deal with Westerners.