Thread: Mason... Sir,
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Mason... Sir,

[ QUOTE ]
I agree wholeheartedly the PPA doesn't want to be a grassroots organization. Lobbying Congress with questionable money and a veil of secrecy was a short term fix that was ill-conceived and duplicated better efforts. Its still not too late to turn to membership, but it means sacrificing names and power. Whether or not D$D wanted to volunteer his problem was one that is pervasive and general.
There is not organization for poker players to work thru and recieve help to change outdated evil laws. Calls, emails, ideas, all fell on deaf ears. Maybe its time to pull the plug on lobbying only and turn around and start going to bars and card rooms and signing peopel up one by one. Hire some bloggers/posters(no i don't want to do it). Start a community. Open up control to of the organization to memberhip. What the hell can it hurt? Oh wait, you want to preserve the HORRIBLE business model of the affiliate farms.

[/ QUOTE ]

I derive very little income from on-line poker, percentage wise I spend more on Starbucks a month than I've won. Considering I started from zero, I am really proud of my few hundred bucks winnings, not that I ever expect to be able to spend money from my "off-shore unregulated numbered account".

But signing up people who play in bar leagues is one suggestion that has fantastic potential. I've even gone out and done it. At least two people at the fly-in were their only because I contacted them through bar leagues. No they were not all from the local area. Tuff met one who flew in from the Mid-west at his own expense with NO help or even consideration in hospitality let alone much PR contact to capitalize on his "story".

Think of me what ever you will, I'm old enough and secure enough to careless. I do care about my freedoms, and rights. I have a passion for the game of poker that far exceeds my skills at poker and apparently communications on-line and in person with the PPA abilities.

If I ran into the same problems in any other portion of my life I would follow the "conventional wisdom", and squarely place the blame as suggested.

However, grassroots politics is one area where I have excelled recently in the past decade of my life. To what extent is indeed debatable (perceptions -- depends on whom you talk to and when). But even discounting all of that, one area I am considered "head and shoulders" above many is getting the most out of volunteers and scooping up for free needed resources.

So I am willing to accept all the personal failure in my personal attempts. But I am unwilling to stay silent or suggest the PPA is anywhere near where it should be in the "care and feeding" of volunteers.

I could list another half dozen specific examples where the PPA has paid for or "blown" amazing opportunities to raise money and visibly shown a positive ROI to the broader poker world.

But why bother?

D$D