View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Straddle Anywhere?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well the great thing about the button is position throughout. Even before you enter the betting pre flop you have information on all the players apart from SB and BB. You can then act accordingly. Why would you want to negate this huge advantage by putting in a straddle here? You are effectively posting a huge blind as acting UTG. It would be madness IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you still act last on all post flop streets but you also get to act last preflop too. In this scenario SB is first to act preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, but you are paying a huge premium (the straddle) for the privilege and all you gain is knowing if the SB and BB are betting. Not worth it.

[ QUOTE ]
Three handed you should straddle on the button every time and hope your opponents opt not to. You are playing for bigger stakes while in position and smaller stakes when oop. At a full table however, you have to have the guts to play some not so good starting hands against ep raisers. I would probably straddle every time on the button if the table is tight/passive.

[/ QUOTE ]
Disagree – you don’t want to straddle. You can raise every time as a strategy if you so wish 3-handed. However, standard plays IMHO need to be mixed up a bit otherwise you become too predictable.

My feelings on the straddle are a little biased anyway. This is just a fun thing to do from time to time if you don’t mind losing. The straddle is such a –EV thing to do. If players want to do it, I love it but I won’t join in if I am looking to make money.