View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Have a set. Spew?

[ QUOTE ]
We have a made hand with SD value. Why do we want to turn that hand into a bluff preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because showdown is far, far away and you'll have to navigate 3 streets OOP to get there, possibly calling multiple bets with second and third pair.

I'm confused, though. Are you calling preflop because you want to get to showdown with your "made hand", or are you calling for set value, which in essence means you're playing a draw? As I said, I think the flatcall preflop is standard (I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate here) but when I do it, I don't have aspirations of showing down my 77 unimproved and dragging the pot. I'm mostly just setmining, so I don't see a difference between 77 and an SC - either way, it usually "flops badly and turns into air". Against more aggro buttons, the light 3-bet with 77 can be very profitable, and these are the same kinds of players against which it will be very difficult to show down your hand unimproved if you flat, because they are likely to fire c-bets often.

But yeah, flatting is standard, but it isn't the only option.