View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Why should God be any more believable than the Tooth Fairy?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whether god exists or not it's their inability to understand that experience in any other way that is the cause of their belief.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how this makes any sense. If some God exists, and they have an experience with him which they convey to us according to their best understanding, how is that limited understanding the cause of their belief? It is the product of their belief combined with their limitations in understanding. Under the assumption that some God does exist, their belief was Caused by their experience with him.

The fact their explanation to us might be garbled is no proof that an experience with this assumed God did not Cause their belief.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

This comes pretty close to what I was talking about in my first post in this thread. That religious people have "evidence" for their faith in the form of religious experiences.

Are these religious experiences subjective? Yes. Does a person of Christian faith interpret it as a sign from a Christian god? Yes. Does a person of Islamic faith interpret is as a sign from Allah? Yes. Does a person of no religious believes whatsoever interpret it in non-religious way? Probably yes. Therefore we can't talk about religious experiences with that guy, maybe we can use the word mystical experience.

Do you claim that the source of these mystical experiences is God? Is it the Christian God? Or are all the gods from every religion basically the same, all different interpretations of the universal God of Love? If so, isn't every religion right? And if not, why is this one particular religion correct and others are not if they all are based on the same mystical experience?

Why are these mystical experiences products of God? It surely can be something completely different, right? It can be a product of our minds, yes? Well do you think that our minds are a product of God? And if so, do you believe that because of the mystical experience you had? And if so, do you see why we're running in circles here and that God cannot be proved or disproved? So we must all be agnostic about God, right? And some agnostic people just believe in God because of that mystical experience and some people do not because they interpret those mystical experiences differently?

I would really appreciate answers to this especially from PairTheBoard.