View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Why should God be any more believable than the Tooth Fairy?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I mean it doesn't make sense for people to lie to themselves over and over their whole lives to the point where they don't even realize they're doing it anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I don't believe in god myself. But for whatever reason, some people need that belief in order to function. People on this board have stated very clearly that their lives would be completely meaningless if god didn't exist. I'd say that's a pretty good incentive to keep believing.

[/ QUOTE ]I think that religion can do a lot of good things for some people, but when Christians say this I can't help but come to one of two conclusions:

(1) They are showboating their faith in a subtle attempt to convert non-believers.

(2) They have become compeltely caught up in church stuff, praying constantly, and 'feeling' God's love around them to the point that they equate God with aspects of life that would still exist whether they believed in it/him or not...like mountains, love, music, literature, math, etc. These people don't realize that if you're an atheist (or God was found not to exist), all that crap is still here to enjoy. Basically, how the hell do they know how they'll react if they find out (realize?) there is no God after all?

FWIW my life religion progression has gone atheist --> Christian --> atheist, so it's not like I'm a complete outsider to the other side.