View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 03:14 AM

Default Dealing with aging family members - Alzheimers especially

This is pretty personal post for me as three of my family members have all had the disease and my family has to deal with it again. My great grandmother was healthy as can be until she was ~92, she got the disease and passed away within a year. My grandmothers sister came down with the disease when she was a little over 50 and descended into absolute incoherent babbling within 6 months. She lived another few years but had an incredibly nasty temper and couldn't remember anything or hold any sort of conversation.

Currently my grandmother has been slipping for the last 2-3 years. Shes been pretty bad the last year and is at the point where she is completely absent minded. She forgets everything said in a conversation, forgets to pay bills, she lives by herself and at this point is incapable of doing so. Over the weekend she fell and broke her hip, cut her head open, and when my aunt came to visit her later that day she had no idea she had done any of that. We're currently getting her out of the hospital and finding a home for her to stay in. She is basically screaming bloody murder the whole way and is attempting to make everyone in our family feel guilty about it.

At this point I feel incredibly depressed about having to go through this again and eventually lose another family member. She was very important to me growing up and it depresses me that I can't even talk to her now.

Having to visit another member in a senior care center is going to be really tolling on me and the rest of my family. Especially when I can't even communicate the person I'm there to visit. The nastiness that people develop with Alzheimers makes it especially difficult.

I'm not sure what direction this thread may take but I'm wondering if other 2p2 members have had to gone through similar things with their family members.