View Single Post
Old 01-28-2007, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Wynn 4/8 How bad is this fold?

Folding here or calling down is not nearly as big of a mistake as folding face up and exposing your cards.

You should never fold face up for many reasons:

1) It says, "I am not sure if I am laying down a winner, but I dont want to gamble with you, so I'm going to show you what you are making me lay down, so that if I'm right I gain some psychological edge, and if I'm wrong, I make you feel bad" All of this is stupid and unnecessary.
2) Most importantly, by doing this, you tell the whole table that you can be raised off your hand on scary boards, and this is really really really bad, worse than making a bad call down or a bad fold. People will remember this and use it as a reason to take shots at you all night long.
3) You unnessarily make him feel like a champ if all he has is A8 or TT. Had you folded face down, he wouldnt have this extra psychological edge on you because you wouldnt have given it to him.

If you decide to fold because your read is telling you you are a big underdog to have the best hand, you should muck and say, "You got me, I missed."

Going back to the hand, against a tight nitty rock I dont mind the laydown, provided you have some read and experience with the guy. Against an unknown or a tricky guy, you should just call down. Remember you have position on the guy and some turn or river card may slow him down and make his hand apparent and you can even get a value bet out of it or chose to check it down. When you have a big pocket pair, it makes it slightly more likely for others to have pocket pairs, and he could very likely have something like 99 or TT. Or he could have 9Ts and you could be almost dead.

Remember, they are going to c/r alot of hands, some that beat you, some that dont.

Those of you who are saying the OP is silly for folding are wrong and do not give your opponents enough credit. There are situations where I would definitely fold this. This flop did not help up at all, and could have easily given one of two opponents a better hand, or at least good draw. While I dont recommend just auto-folding, I dont think folding is the worst play, but it all depends on who is check raising. But dont muck your hand face up in this situation, ever!

-J