View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Need help getting out of a gym contract

Hello OOT, i required your help on getting out of a gym contract which i signed for a year. It has been 5 months so far, and i recently got a new job and the new schedule does not work with the gym's schedule. This is a MMA training gym, and their classes are mon - sat classes start at 6pm, and theres a class every hour, 6pm and 7pm is the technique training and at 8pm they have sparring sessions on Tues and Thurs. Due to my schedule change i cannot make any of the technique training classes only the sparring classes, because i would work from 9:30-6:30 and drive back home is 45mins to an hour.

I signed a yearly contract, which states the contract may be broken if I either sustain an injury which disables me from training for up to 3 months, or if i move more than 30 miles away from their gym location.

So heres some things i've thought of so far:
1. Fake a electricity bill from a friends house who lives over 30 miles away.
2. Get a doctor to write anote claiming i have some sort of condition that prohibits me from training.
3. Talk with the owner and nicely ask him to let me out of the contract due to my schedule change.
But i have some questions about those 3 plans, this is where you can help me.

1. DO you think these people would actually verify some how that it is actually my bill and that i actually live there?

2. What condition can i claim to have? Faking an injury would seem too hard since id have to act, i was thinking of faking a chronic condition. I've heard of people claiming Heart Murmurs to get out of Bally's gym contracts.

3. When i signed they claimed to not be as strict as other gyms and that they were like family. I am not sure if i should try this, because if it fails, then they will know im looking to get out, and the other 2 plans may not work because they would be more vigilant.

Your insight is appreciated, thank you!